It’s spring in New England. The weather is finally warming up and the days are longer. The birds are chirping and flowers are peaking up through the ground. And there is nothing that screams spring in New England like the sound of trucks revving. This is the time of year when outdoor work begins – dump trucks are out hauling their loads, diggers are ripping up the ground, pavers are laying new roads.
If you have a truck-loving child, then you probably can identify most trucks on the road. You may even stop to get a close up look of a digger in action or a firetruck whizzing by. Kids love trucks.
And they really love Touch-a-Truck events. If you’ve never been to one of these kind of events before, they are a little kid’s dream come true. They get to see the big trucks up close and personal, and usually they can sit in a truck and honk the big horn. Some events bring in firetrucks, bucket loaders, sports cars, buses, and you may even find an event that brings in a helicopter!
Whoever came up with the idea for the touch-a-truck event deserves a medal, because it was the BEST idea ever. We’ve gone to our share of events in the last three years, and I can guarantee you that they are always a blast. You really cannot go wrong with trucks.
With that, I have collected a pretty extensive list of events throughout the state. It seems this year, many are requiring a small fee (there are a few that are still free and some take donations). I’ve noted the prices throughout so you can plan ahead!
This list will continually be updated as new events come out! There are still a few events that I am watching for (including our favorite in Enfield, and another in Manchester). If anything gets canceled or rescheduled, I’ll try to update but always confirm an event before you head out (especially if it is raining!)
- May 5, 2018, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Seymour. Great Hill UMC will host a Touch-a-Truck event featuring trucks and vehicles to climb on and explore. There will also be tractor rides, face painting, kids events and giveaways, a book sale, a bake sale and food for sale! General admission is $3 per child (adults are free).
- May 6, 2018, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., West Hartford. Mandell JCC Greater Hartford Touch-a-Truck event with vehicles to climb aboard and get behind the wheel of, along with complimentary train rides provided by Roaming Railroad, singing and dancing with Bill Benson and Child ID Kits. $25 per family (day of) or $20 in advance.
- May 6, 2018, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Farmington. Touch-a-Truck & Public Safety Day at Winding Trails will feature plenty of trucks and vehicles to explore! Open to everyone. Free.
- May 6, 2018, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Madison. Madison Surf Club’s Touch-a-Truck event will feature trucks, live music, food trucks and more. Donations suggested.
- May 12, 2018, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Ridgefield. Ridgefield Academy invites children of all ages to their Touch-a-Truck event where they can climb aboard various constructions and emergency vehicles. This is a free event.
- May 12, 2018, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Manchester. Touch-A-Truck Safety Day, hosted by Manchester Plays On, will be held at Northwest Park and will feature trucks, a chance to meet firemen and police men, group games, crafts, bike riding and more!
- May 12, 2018, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Waterbury. Touch-a-Truck, hosted by the Waterbury Antlers #265 will be held at the Elks Lodge. There will be a fire engine, ambulance, tow truck, tractory army truck, police car and much more! Food will be available for purchase. Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children (under 2 are free).
- POSTPONED UNTIL OCTOBER!
May 19, 2018, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Niantic. The 10th Annual Touch-a-Truck, hosted by East Lyme Auxiliary of Child and Family Emergency of Southeastern Connecticut and the East Lyme Parks and Recreation Department, will be held at McCook Point Park. There will be fire engines, food, face painting and photos. Requested donation $4 per person; children under 2 are free.
May 19, 2018, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Torrington . O&G’s Touch-a-Truck event with over 30 pieces of equipment. There will also be activities for the kids. Donation of $2 per person suggested.
- May 19, 2018, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wilton. Wilton’s 2018 Touch-a-Truck is held at Middlebrook Middle School, and features the biggest trucks in Wilton. In addition there will be a petting zoo, the Roaming Railroad, balloon animals, face painting, music, bounce houses, and more! Admission is $30 per family. This event is RAIN OR SHINE!
- TO BE RESCHEDULED! STAY TUNED!
May 19, 2018, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Ellington . The 3rd Annual Touch-a-Truck Event will be held at Skip’s Wastewater Services. Lots of trucks to explore and touch!
- May 19, 2018, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Lee, Massachusetts . The 2017 Touch-a –Truck, hosted by Berkshire County Kids’ Place, will be held at the Lee Premium Outlets. Enjoy a collection of real-life trucks and specialty vehicles to sit in and touch. Admission is $5 per person; or $15 for a family of 4; or $20 for a family of 5 or more; children under 2 are free.
- TO BE RESCHEDULED! STAY TUNED!
May 20, 2018, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Newtown. Merryhill Child Care Center will host a Touch-a-Truck event at Sand Hill Plaza with a full day of fun! Tickets are $5 per person ($20 maximum for a family of 6). Children under 2 are free.
- June 2, 2018, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Glastonbury. Touch-a-Truck at Gideon Welles School, presented by The Exchange Club of Glastonbury, will offer a full day of fun and activities with all types of trucks to sit in and honk the horn! Admission is $5 per person.
- RESCHEDULED! June 2, 2018, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Plantsville. The 16th Annual Touch-a-Truck event will be held at the Southington Drive-In, hosted by the American Legion Auxiliary and the Southington Recreation Department. Climb into construction, rescue, military and other vehicles. Enjoy face painting, music and more. Food will be available for sale. Admission is $4 per child, adults are free of charge.
- June 3, 2018, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Springfield. Touch-a-Truck at the Springfield Jewish Community Center will feature a variety of trucks, balloon animals, bounce house, face painting, food, music and more! $20 per family gets you in for the whole day.
- June 3, 2018, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Woodbridge. Family Fun Day featuring Touch a Truck will be held at the JCC of Greater New Haven. Enjoy music, games, activities, over 20 trucks on display, train rides, pony rides, food and more! Entrance and parking are free!
- June 3, 2018, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Milford . Touch-a-Truck, hosted by JWC of Milford, will be held at Eisenhower Park. Enjoy a hands-on family day of fun with over 25 trucks. Tickets are $5 for adults and children over 2; children under 2 are free.
- June 10, 2018, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Greenwich. Touch-a-Truck, presented by the Junior League of Greenwich, will be held at the Greenwich Town Hall. Climb aboard a fire truck, go sky high in a cherry picker, and ride the rails. There will also be food trucks, music and more! Tickets are on sale online, and start at $10 per person (family packs are also available).
- June 16, 2018, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Enfield. Hosted by the Enfield Public Library, Vehicle Day offers a parking lot full of trucks, cars, farm vehicles, and even a firetruck to explore! More details to come! See our Blog Post from the 2016 event.
- June 16, 2018, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Newington. Hosted by the GFWC Newington/Wethersfield Women’s Club, this event will be fun for the whole family with vehicles to check out, sit in, honk the horns and climb on. This will be held at Mill Pond Park. The event is free.
- June 16, 2018, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Plainville. Hosted by Kapura General Contractors, children of all ages are invited to climb in, explore and discover their favorite big trucks and vehicles at this first annual Touch-a-Truck. In addition there will be children’s activities and games, face painting, food trucks, vendors and more! Admission is $5 per person (2 and under are free).
- July 1, 2018, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., Fairfield . The Barnum Festival’s Touch-A-Truck event will be held at Trumbull High School. Climb aboard fire trucks, ambulances, construction trucks and more. Food vendors and activities will be available. Admission is $5, kids under 2 are free.
- July 21, 2018, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., East Windsor. The Fire Truck Show at the Connecticut Trolley Museum will allow you to get up close and personal with all aspects of the firefighting industry, including over 25 trucks to view! There will also be demonstrations from local fire departments. Admission is $12.00 for ages 13 and up, $11.00 for seniors 62 and up, $10.00 for ages 4-12; and $3 for ages 3 and under.