This Saturday, February 3, 2018 is the annual event, Take Your Child to the Library Day,hosted by the Connecticut Library Consortium. This event is a great opportunity you and your child to explore your local library, learn about what they have to offer (including programs and museum passes), sign up for your library card and check out a book!
The event is in its 7th year! It originated in Connecticut in 2012, but the event is now held in 49 states and has over 1,000 participating libraries! So if you are reading this, but you are not in Connecticut, don’t fret because your local library may be doing something special too!
Nearly every town in Connecticut is participating in this wonderful event, but here is a sampling of some of our favorite libraries, as well as some of yours! If you do not see your library on this list, just visit their website and check out what they have going on! Just because it is not on this list does not mean they are not participating!
So, go and Take Your Child to the Library this Saturday; either your hometown library or go for a drive and visit a new library! We love the library in this house, and we especially love exploring new ones!
**All activities will be held on Saturday, January 3, 2018 – unless otherwise noted!
- Berlin-Peck Memorial Library in Berlin – Drop by anytime during the week of February 3 to February 9 for fun activities for the whole family! Crafts, a scavenger hunt, a special “Library Game,” and more. Participate in the Guessing Jar contest for a chance to win an Amazon Gift Card!
- Prosser Public Library in Bloomfield – Enjoy activities all day including storytelling, author visits, a magic show and more!
- Bristol Public Library – Celebrate with music and fun with Mr. Joe at 2 p.m.
- Canton Public Library – Stop by from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for a free Early Childhood Community Fair as part of their celebrations.
- Cragin Memorial Library in Colchester – Stop by anytime for crafts, drawing, and more! For all ages!
- Booth & Dimock Memorial Library in Coventry – You are invited to a Fairy Tale Ball from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Every prince, princess, knight and jester between the ages of 3 and 10 are welcome! Dress up and have a fun afternoon with dancing, crafts, games and meet & greets.
- Cromwell Belden Public Library – Celebrate all day with your children by decorating bookmarks. All children will take home a free book!
- East Granby Public Library – From 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., drop by for stories, snakes and snacks! Please register for this event!
- East Hartford Public Library – From 11 to 11:30 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., drop by for a special storytime at 11 a.m., then check out the new Makerspace with demonstrations and giveaways. All ages are welcome.
- Warehouse Point Library (East Windsor) – from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., drop in to decorate a Valentine’s Day card, guess how many candy hearts are in the jar and find a book to read together.
- Enfield Public Library – Celebrate from 9 a.m. to noon ith book drawings, quilt decorating, and crafts. All ages. Drop-in. At 10 a.m., meet the animals with Animals Shows on the Go. Tickets are available at the library- best for ages 4 and up.
- Farmington Public Library – At 2 p.m., come dressed in purple and celebrate all things purple with Harold! Enjoy stories, games, activities, snacks, big purple crayons and a movie. There will also be a giveaway of 100 hard copies of Harold and the Purple Crayon. Best suited for ages 4 and up. Please register!
- Welles Turner Memorial Library in Glastonbury – From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the whole family is invited to visit the library and enjoy games, stories, refreshments and more!
- Granby Public Library – From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., stop in for special crafts, coloring, puzzles, toys, board games and more! All ages welcome.
- Guilford Free Library – Stop by anytime between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for crafts! All ages.
- Hamden Public Library – Celebrate between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., will goody bags for the first 75 families, balloon animals, crafts and more!
- Hartford Public Library – Celebrate at 2 p.m. on the third floor of the Downtown Library with Christopher Agostino’s StoryFaces.
- Douglas Library of Hebron– From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., stop by for a scavenger hunt, crafts and pop-up storytimes!
- Mary Cheney Library in Manchester– Celebrate all day with special activities including a Books & Beasts program at 10:30 a.m. and a visit from Curious George between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Mansfield Public Library – Celebrate all day and all month with stickers, storytimes, and more!
- Richmond Memorial Library in Marlborough – Visit all dayfor a scavenger hunt, goodies and a raffle. At 11 a.m., enjoy a storytime and craft program! Registration for storytime is encouraged.
- Meriden Public Library – Celebrate all day with children’s activities and crafts. There will be a program at 10:30 a.m. and a chance to learn all about groundhogs through stories and a craft. At 3 p.m., there be an introduction to 3D Printing program.
- Russell Library in Middletown – Celebrate the day with a special visit from Doc in the front library between 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Milford Public Library – From 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., all families visiting the library will receive a copy of Harold and the Purple Crayon (while supplies last).
- The Mystic & Noank Library in Mystic – Drop by the library between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., for board games, crafts, activities and more! There will be a reading with Phantom the dog at 11 a.m., a demo of the library’s 3D printer at 1 p.m. and a movie matinee at 3 p.m.
- New Britain Public Library – Starting at 10 a.m., enjoy a visit to the library and make a craft, read a story, enjoy free giveaways and more! Stay for a drumming circle at 2 p.m.!
- New Haven Free Public Library – Mitchell Branch – At 11 a.m., drop in with your favorite stuffed animal for a teddy bear picnic, storytime and parade!
- Lucy Robbin Welles Library in Newington – Enjoy crafts and activities all day, and a special storytime at 10:30 a.m. Please register for storytime.
- Rockville Public Library– From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., take home a free library bag, crafts and the book Harold and the Purple Crayon. Therapy dogs will be available for children to read to from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Enjoy storyteller Carolyn Stearns at 11 a.m. followed by a craft.
- Cora J. Belden Library in Rocky Hill – Between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., stop in for story times at 10:15 a.m.(drop in) and 2 p.m. (registration required). Enjoy activities all day including a chance to meet Peter Rabbit!
- Simsbury Public Library – At 10:30 a.m., enjoy a music and movement program with your children ages 1 to 4 (drop-in) and a special library day art project at 2 p.m., including a free copy of the book Harold and the Purple Crayon to the first 100 registrants.
- Somers Public Library – From 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., stop by the library for a scavenger hunt, guessing contest, crafts and more!
- Southington Public Library – At 10 a.m., drop in to make a Valentine’s Day card with a special chocolate treat.
- Stafford Public Library– Enjoy a full day with sensory story time at 10:30 a.m., LEGO Club at 1 p.m., a snowman craft at 2 p.m. and storytime at 3 p.m.
- Kent Memorial Library in Suffield – Starting at 10 a.m., come over for cocoa, cocoa and a goody bag. Between 10 and noon, the Connecticut Valley Mineral Club will be on hand to talk rocks!
- Tolland Public Library– Stop by to play a game, do a puzzle, read aloud, enjoy storytime, family movie time and more! Please sign up for the storytime and movie!
- Torrington Library– Starting at 11 a.m., drop in for crafts, hot chocolate, cookies and more! There will be a showing of the movie Sing at 11 a.m.
- Wallingford Public Library – Stop by anytime during the day for a fun make-and-take craft!
- Watertown Library -Between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., enjoy activities all day including a chance to read to two golden retrievers, Finn and Clover at 11 a.m.
- Noah Webster Library in West Hartford – Starting at 11 a.m., enjoy a full day of activities including a Fairytale Enchantment storytime, Snapology and family Bingo and crafts. Registration is required for the Fairytale Storytime.
- Wethersfield Library – From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., drop in for fun activities all day including dancing with the Wii and a chance to create a pet rock and a pet rock house.
- Willington Public Library– At 10 a.m., enjoy a special story and craft time!
- Windsor Public Library – At 10:30 a.m., celebrate the day with donuts with grownups- a storytime with crafts and a treat. Registration required.