This Saturday, February 2, 2019 is the annual event, Take Your Child to the Library Day, hosted by the Connecticut Library Consortium. This event is a great opportunity you and your child to explore your local library, learn about what they have to offer (including programs and museum passes), sign up for your library card and check out a book!
Take Your Child to the Library Day is in its 8th year! It originated in Connecticut in 2012, but the event is now an international event with over 1,000 participating libraries! So if you are reading this, but you are not in Connecticut, don’t fret because your local library may be doing something special too!
Nearly every town in Connecticut is participating in Take Your Child to the Library Day as you can see in this map! And if your town is not participating, you can always go check out a new library in another town. In fact, library exploration is one of our favorite things to do here at This Connecticut Mom!
I’ve compiled a sampling of some of our favorite libraries, as well as some of yours! If you do not see your library on this list, just visit their website and check out what they have going on! Just because it is not on this list does not mean they are not participating!
So, go and Take Your Child to the Library this Saturday!
- Avon Free Public Library – Enjoy a groundhog themed storytime at 10:30 a.m., and activities! Open to children ages 3-6. Read our Review!
- Berlin-Peck Memorial Library in Berlin – From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., drop by for a scavenger hunt, make a 3D flower, take home some seeds to plant at home and sign up for your library card!
- Prosser Public Library in Bloomfield – Enjoy activities all day including a storywalk, Hartford Symphony petting zoo, Sticky Jams and more! Read our Review!
- Canton Public Library – Enjoy special activities all day long including the Eighth Annual Early Childhood Community Fair! Read our Review!
- Booth & Dimock Memorial Library in Coventry – From 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., celebrate the day with Nursery Rhyme Olympics! Complete challenges and earn medals and trophies! Ages 5 and under. Read our Review!
- Cromwell Belden Public Library – Stop by the library during the day for jungle-tastic fun! There will be animal face painting, jungle themed storytimes and wild crafts!
- Durham Public Library– Stop by to check out a book, participate in a scavenger hunt, make some bunny ears and more!
- East Granby Public Library – From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., come dressed as your favorite storybook character and enjoy a scavenger hunt, face painting and more! Read our Review!
- East Hartford Public Library – Stop by any time for a fun lineup of programs including an airplane storytime, a chance to read to the dogs, performances, and crafts! Read our Review!
- Warehouse Point Library in East Windsor – From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., stop by for dinosaur activities including crafts, contests and more! Read our Review!
- Enfield Public Library – Starting at 9 a.m., come find out what your library has to offer with book drawings, contests, bookmark crafts, and a special storytime. Read our Review!
- Farmington Public Library – At 2 p.m., celebrate early literacy with books, activities, and a Valentine’s Day treat! There will also be a visit with a local author and door prizes. Please register.
- Welles Turner Memorial Library in Glastonbury – Celebrate all day with mini-golf, a birthday celebration for the Very Hungry Caterpillar, crafts, stories and more!
- Granby Public Library – Drop by any time during the day and celebrate with crafts, coloring, games and toys! There will also be a special performance at 3 p.m. (register online). Read our Review!
- Guilford Free Library – Stop by anytime between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. for crafts! All ages.
- Hamden Public Library – Visit the library and enjoy special events and activities all day!
- Hartford Public Library – Celebrate at 2 p.m. at the downtown branch for a library tour and special activities!
- Mary Cheney Library in Manchester – Pete the Cat will be visiting for pictures, and children can also enjoy a craft activity!
- Richmond Memorial Library in Marlborough – Kickoff fairytale month with a craft!
- Meriden Public Library – Drop in to the children’s library for a craft and complete a scavenger hunt for a small prize!
- Russell Library in Middletown – Celebrate the day with a special visit from Rex, the Dinobrarian! There will also be groundhog crafts in celebration of Groundhogs Day!
- The Mystic & Noank Library in Mystic – Drop by the library for cookies and cocoa, crafts, board games, Lego building, and a movie matinée at 3 p.m.
- New Britain Public Library – Starting at 10 a.m., enjoy a visit to the library with crafts, science activities, free giveaways, books, and a storytime at 2 p.m.
- Lucy Robbin Welles Library in Newington – Stop by for a magic show at 10:15 a.m., and enjoy crafts and activities all day!
- Rockville Public Library– From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., stop by for crafts, building activities, a selfie station, simple face painting, a book sale and more! Each family will receive a free library bag! All are welcome. Read our Review!
- Cora J. Belden Library in Rocky Hill – Celebrate all day with family fun activities!
- Simsbury Public Library – Enjoy special programs all day and make sure to stop by the Children’s room for a sweet treat! Read our Review!
- Stafford Public Library– Enjoy a full day with sensory storytime at 10:30 a.m., Lego club at 1 p.m., a community information fair at 1 p.m. and an Owl show at 3 p.m.
- Tolland Public Library– Stop by to sign up for a library card, make a bookmark, play a board game and more! You can also register to read to a therapy dog or visit the Discovery Center.
- Wallingford Public Library – Stop by anytime during the day for a fun activity sheet, learn to square dance, check out a book club, play chess and more! Registration required for some activities!
- Windsor Public Library – From 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., join the fun and celebrate the special day with a Groundhog Day storytime and special guest visitor. For ages 5 to 9. Registration recommended. Read our Review!
- Windsor Locks Public Library – Drop by all day to celebrate and make sure to ask at the desk for a special treat! Read our Review!
Keyword(s): Take Your Child to the Library