**This post was written in 2020. Please continue to follow our blog for new reviews and posts!**
This Saturday, February 1, 2020 is the annual event, Take Your Child to the Library Day, hosted by the Connecticut Library Consortium. This event is a great opportunity you and your child to explore your local library, learn about what they have to offer (including programs and museum passes), sign up for your library card and check out a book!
The event is in its 9th year! It originated in Connecticut in 2012, but the event is now an international event with over 1,000 participating libraries! So if you are reading this, but you are not in Connecticut, don’t fret because your local library may be doing something special too!
Nearly every town in Connecticut is participating in this wonderful event as you can see in this map! And if your town is not participating, you can always go check out a new library in another town. In fact, library exploration is one of our favorite things to do here at This Connecticut Mom!
I’ve compiled a sampling of some of our favorite libraries, as well as some of yours! If you do not see your library on this list, just visit their website and check out what they have going on! Just because it is not on this list does not mean they are not participating!
So, go and Take Your Child to the Library this Saturday!
- Booth & Dimock Memorial Library in Coventry – At 1 p.m., stop by the library to visit a live llama! Read our Review!
- Cromwell Belden Public Library – At 2 p.m., drop by for a fabulous hula hooping program!
- Danbury Public Library – At 11:30 a.m., enjoy a special storytime and go on an adventure during this interactive experience! For ages 3-10.
- Durham Public Library – Stop by at 3 p.m. for a concert with Mr. Gym!
- East Hartford Public Library – Bring your child to the library and get a library card, play some board games, make a craft and explore all the library has to offer! Read our Review!
- Warehouse Point Library in East Windsor – From 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., stop by for a bubble program with the Connecticut Science Center, enjoy a scavenger hunt or make a Valentine’s Day card!
- Minigolf at Hall Memorial Library in Ellington– Come out all weekend for mini-golf throughout the library! Read our Review!
- Enfield Public Library – Starting at 9 a.m., come find out what your library has to offer with book drawings, contests, bookmark crafts, and a special hands on workshop for young engineers! Read our Review!
- Essex Public Library – Come out for a day of activities including the library’s “Old Tech” petting zoo and free books for children.
- Welles Turner Memorial Library in Glastonbury – Celebrate all day with bingo, crafts, a Lego family challenge, a magic show and more!
- Granby Public Library – From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., drop by for a Treasure Hunt! Find all the clues and claim your treasure. Read our Review!
- Hartford Public Library – Celebrate all day with scavenger hunts, storytime, STEM station, crafts and more!
- Ledyard Public Library– Enjoy a magic show at the Bill Library at 11 a.m. Or stop by for LEGO Junior Maker at the Gales Ferry Library at 1 p.m.
- Mansfield Public Library– At 10:30 a.m., celebrate the day with a high-energy family show designed to engage children through song, movement, stories and music. Read our Review!
- Mary Cheney Library in Manchester – Take your child to the library with ABC Amigos and enjoy a fun-filled Spanish storytime.
- Russell Library in Middletown – Drop by for a Fancy Fairy Party at 2 p.m. and make a fairy wand, play games and also write a fairy poem!
- New Britain Public Library – Stop by to make a craft, get a library card, read a story together, check out some books, and enjoy a magic show at 3 p.m.
- Putnam Public Library– Stop by all day to make a craft and visit the library. At 11 a.m., children are also invited to read a book to Greta the Great (therapy dog).
- Rockville Public Library– From 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., stop by for storytime, crafts and more! All are welcome. Read our Review!
- Cora J. Belden Library in Rocky Hill – Celebrate all day with sea activities all day including a pancake bot demonstration, airbrush tattoos, a touch tank, children’s book sale, mermaid crafts and more!
- South Windsor Public Library – Celebrate all day with special events including crafts, a chance to read to a therapy dog and a visit from the Critter Caravan. Some activities require registration. Read our Review!
- Stafford Public Library– Enjoy a full day with sensory storytime at 10:30 a.m., Lego club at 1 p.m., and a special show at 3:30 p.m.
- Tolland Public Library– All day long enjoy a scavenger hunt, a storytime at 11 a.m. and a movie at 2 p.m.
- Trumbull Public Library – Stop by between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and celebrate the day with a Dog Man Days of Winter party! Activities are best suited for ages 6 and up, but all are welcome.
- Windsor Public Library – From 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., join the fun and celebrate the special day with a Library Mini Golf! Please call to register for tee time. Read our Review!
- Windsor Locks Public Library – Drop by all day to celebrate and get a free Dr. Seuss book (while supplies last), make a Valentine’s Day card, win door prizes, complete a Pokemon scavenger hut and more! Read our Review!